Thursday, April 3, 2014

Some say love. . .

In a relationship, I look for someone with similarities to myself. In Justin Timberlake's Mirrors he describes this sentiment with his lyrics, "It's like you're my mirror. My mirror staring back at me." Additionally, I look for someone who will like me just the way I am and not try to change me. This is expressed in Frank Sinatra's The Way You Look Tonight when he sings, "Don't you ever change. Keep that breathless charm. Won't you please arrange it?" In a relationship, I look for someone to help me be a better person and make sense of things. In the song, I See The Light from the animated movie Tangled the main characters sing about who their lives have changed with the lyrics, " And at last I see the light. And it's like the fog has lifted .And at last I see the light. And it's like the sky is new. And it's warm and real and bright. And the world has somehow shifted." In a relationship, I want someone who will stand by me even when I am cranky or if things are not perfect. In James Taylor's song, You Can Close Your Eyes, he sings, "Well the sun is surely sinking down. But the moon is slowly rising. So this old world must still be spinning 'round. And I still love you." which directly reflects the idea that despite what is going on love is constant. Finally, in a relationship I would like someone who I can always talk to and even after dating for awhile we can still surprise each other and like to spend time togther. In the Script's, For the First Time, the lyrics are, "Sit talking up all night, saying things we haven't for a while a while, yeah. We're smiling but we're close to tears. Even after all these years, we just now got the feeling that we're meeting for the first time." Maybe not feel the butterflies and craziness of new love, but to still be happy and excited to see one another. In terms a soul mate I think the article errs fundamentally in the idea that a soul mate is supposed to be an absolutely perfect and inhuman. A soul mate should be someone who completes you and will stand by you. They can be your friend and that doesn't mean you don't have any other friends. The idea of a soul mate is completely reasonable, but the definition one chooses to use may make it impractical.






No comments:

Post a Comment